Here are my two NEW journals for 2012! I've got several others ongoing, but these are brand new, never been used!
The larger one is my Junque Journal/Smash Book thing. It's a simple composition notebook where I'll store the daily record of daily happenings. ;-) Kind of like a hybrid of K&Co's Smash Book and Tangie Baxter's Junque Journal--kind of junky, kind of journaly. ;-)
When I tried to explain this concept to my mom, she immediately started referring to it as the *Squash* Book. I think that's as good a name as any! :-)
[Oh, and did you see Michael's is FINALLY carrying all the Smash goodies?? Can you say 40% off??!!! YAY!!!]
Each page of the Squash Book has a stamped image, a journaling tag, a sticker or a bit of cardstock or ephemera. I adhered cool cardstock on the covers and distressed it with lots and lots of Distress Ink--I think that's Brushed Corduroy.
The (free!) tabs along the top and side are from Avital over on Creativity Prompt. She has the cutest free downloads ever!
The smaller book--and it is an actual book cover--houses my (purchased) 2012 planner. I simply followed Cathe Holden's Vintage Book Planner Tutorial on Just Something I Made. Basically, you gut the book, leaving the cover in one piece. Then you cut up a piece of heavy cardstock, glue it down inside the covers, leaving the spine side open, so you can slip the covers of the planner inside. Super easy and Cathe's tutorial is really clear. The book cover can be used year after year too, because the planner isn't glued into the book!
I bought the book at our local Friends of the Library store. I love that it's French. ;-)
One of the other things I did for 2011 was the Year in the Life album. I'm not planning on doing that for 2012. My take was to do one layout for each month and I found that I really enjoyed that, but there was a lot of overlap between the Squash Book and the Year in the Life album. Plus, December got consumed by the December Daily album and there isn't much in the Year in the Life for this month.
I think I really prefer the freedom of the Squash Book: an empy (mostly) page, plenty of room, freedom to glue stuff in anywhere, no prescribed layout. And the best thing is having the ability to use many pages for one day or to skip a day, if nothing much happened.
And did I mention it's CHEAP...er, inexpensive?? Those composition notebooks are around 50 cents here. And everything I used inside I already had.
Love that.
So that's it for 2011. I hope you all have a fun, safe, Happy New Year!
~Cynthia
The larger one is my Junque Journal/Smash Book thing. It's a simple composition notebook where I'll store the daily record of daily happenings. ;-) Kind of like a hybrid of K&Co's Smash Book and Tangie Baxter's Junque Journal--kind of junky, kind of journaly. ;-)
When I tried to explain this concept to my mom, she immediately started referring to it as the *Squash* Book. I think that's as good a name as any! :-)
[Oh, and did you see Michael's is FINALLY carrying all the Smash goodies?? Can you say 40% off??!!! YAY!!!]
Each page of the Squash Book has a stamped image, a journaling tag, a sticker or a bit of cardstock or ephemera. I adhered cool cardstock on the covers and distressed it with lots and lots of Distress Ink--I think that's Brushed Corduroy.
The (free!) tabs along the top and side are from Avital over on Creativity Prompt. She has the cutest free downloads ever!
The smaller book--and it is an actual book cover--houses my (purchased) 2012 planner. I simply followed Cathe Holden's Vintage Book Planner Tutorial on Just Something I Made. Basically, you gut the book, leaving the cover in one piece. Then you cut up a piece of heavy cardstock, glue it down inside the covers, leaving the spine side open, so you can slip the covers of the planner inside. Super easy and Cathe's tutorial is really clear. The book cover can be used year after year too, because the planner isn't glued into the book!
I bought the book at our local Friends of the Library store. I love that it's French. ;-)
One of the other things I did for 2011 was the Year in the Life album. I'm not planning on doing that for 2012. My take was to do one layout for each month and I found that I really enjoyed that, but there was a lot of overlap between the Squash Book and the Year in the Life album. Plus, December got consumed by the December Daily album and there isn't much in the Year in the Life for this month.
I think I really prefer the freedom of the Squash Book: an empy (mostly) page, plenty of room, freedom to glue stuff in anywhere, no prescribed layout. And the best thing is having the ability to use many pages for one day or to skip a day, if nothing much happened.
And did I mention it's CHEAP...er, inexpensive?? Those composition notebooks are around 50 cents here. And everything I used inside I already had.
Love that.
So that's it for 2011. I hope you all have a fun, safe, Happy New Year!
~Cynthia

5 comments:
I never would have known what was in that book! How cool - so much more fun than a traditional one!!! I love Tangie Baxter & her junk journal but I use mine to hold my art ideas & samples of different techniques so when I am worn out and can't think I will have something to spark me.
i love your new year, new journals! such cool spaces for recording memories.
happy new year, cynthia!
i just LOVE the french looking journal! what a great idea! i'm going to check out the tut for it-tfs!
hope your new year is fabulous, cynthia:)
Hi Cynthia
Brand new books!! What will they hold?
I can't wait to see (not that I am wishing the year away).
Have a brilliant 2012 Cynthia. I hope it is a good year for you.
Love Jules xx
Cynthia, you have inspired me to do more than record the weather each day in my journal. Thanks for the inspiration.
Post a Comment