Friday, December 9, 2011

Tim's Tag, Day 8

Tim's Tag, Day 8 by HikerCynthia
Tim's Tag, Day 8, a photo by HikerCynthia on Flickr.
Oh, Tim.

What have you done to us?

Steampunk, Tim? STEAMPUNK???

So I have loved Steampunk from afar, but never created anything Steampunkish myself. I don't have much Steampunk stuff. And by that I mean: I have no Steampunk stuff.

I almost skipped Day 8's Tag.

Sooooo glad I didn't!

And, like lots of Tag makers out there, I had to improvise once again.

Here we go:

I cut down a manilla tag to my 2x4-inch size. I punched the corners for a tag shape. I loosely covered a grid stamp with Snow Cap Paint Dabber and stamped randomly.

I got out the Winter release Distress Inks (Festive Berries, Iced Spruce and Evergreen Bough) and blended them all over the tag. I rubbed the paint off the Snow Cap grid stamp areas. I distressed the edges with Walnut Stain and a paper distresser. I also did a bit of ghost stamping with some big funky numbers in Walnut Stain--you can see them in the upper left corner.

I put the tag aside to dry and got to work on all the accoutrements. I grabbed the Grungepaper and painted sections with Pewter, Metallic Gold and Metallic Bronze acrylic paints, then stamped the clock and the two "gear" things in Black Soot and hit them with black embossing powder. I cut them out carefully.

I grunged up a ticket and folded it over the edge, stapling it in place.

At that point I was a little lost. Tim used a trio of Steampunk men stamp along the bottom of the tag. The only people I have are the three Wise Men and a small garden gnome.

Don't think I didn't try to make the garden gnome work.

Garden gnomes look stupid in top hats.

Ditched the garden gnome idea.

Tim did use a porcelain-type tag on his creation.

I can do that porcelain-type tag thing.

I checked my stash of crazed porcelain tags I made previously, using Shelly Hickox's tutorial. No 25's left, but I did have an 8. Conveniently, it's DAY EIGHT.

I looked around for something to go with it, spied the extra Kraft Glassine leaves I made for Tim's Tag Day 7 and thought....hmmm.

I arranged said Glassine leaves (after cutting the lobes once again to make them look more like holly leaves) and meticulously--and I mean METICULOUSLY--placed the leaves to look like Steampunkish wings or a crest. Yes? No? Maybe??

Then I adhered everything. And called it a Steampunk Christmas Tag. It was fun to step way the heck out of my comfort zone. Waaaaaay out. ;-)



Supplies:
Paper: Manilla tag; Tim Holtz/Idea-ology (Grungepaper and Kraft Glassine)
Stamps: Glitz Design (Distressing set--background images and number 8); Studio 12 (Summer Assortment--clock); Inkadinkado (Circle Graphs--the "gears")
Inks: Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Festive Berries, Evergreen Bough, Iced Spruce, Walnut Stain, Black Soot)
Paints: Jacquard Lumiere (Pewter, Metallic Bronze); Plaid (Metallic Pure Gold); Ranger/Adirondack (Snow Cap Dabber)
ETC: Tonic (Ticket/Tag Punch); The Paper Studio (brads); EK Success (3D Dots); Ranger (Glossy Accents); Making Memories (paper distresser); black and clear embossing powder (source unknown); stash (coupon)


I was so sad yesterday when I looked at the calendar and realized...ONLY FOUR MORE TAGS. Maybe I'll go back to previous years and play along. Or maybe I'll get some housework done.

Nah.


~Cynthia

PS: Thanks so much for stopping by!!

3 comments:

Jules said...

Wow Cynthia .. .. you are doing amazingly with your tags!!

They are all wonderful.

Will you put them on gifts or do you have other plans for them?

Love Jules xx

Carolyn Dube said...

I like your interpretation of his tag. I think you should do a steampunk gnome tag next-I don't think anyone has done that yet!

farmhouse-story said...

another beauty, cynthina! i esp. love the glassine leaves...and the gnome part-too funny:)