I'm back with my version of Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of Christmas, Day 2!
My version is smaller (2x4 inches) than Tim's tag to fit into my December Daily album pockets.
I had a lot of fun making this one. It was less stressful than yesterday's tag--haha--but it took me pretty much 8 hours to complete it. Sure, I let things dry while I got housework and other stuff done, but really. I hope Sir Tim makes things less complicated for the next tags! ;-)
Tim started with kraft resist paper. I used what I had--meaning...it wasn't the Christmas paper Tim used. No prob. I used the ticket/tag punch to make a tag shape out of it. I didn't attach it to a manilla tag because I can't put all those layers into the pocket in the album. I've already got another piece of paper on the 'other' side for the previous day.
I stamped "Rejoice" with VersaMark, then clear embossed it. I REALLY like how that turned out!
The tag then got the royal beauty treatment! Picket Fence Distress Stain all over, Iced Spruce Distress Ink on the edges, edges got distressed with a paper distresser, Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink on the very edge, holly stamp on the top, and Pine Needles Distress Ink brushed casually on the holly leaves.
THEN (deep breath!) I punched out red berries, adhered them carefully and dotted Glossy Accents on them, flung drops of Vanilla Shimmer Smooch Spray, punched a tree, colored it with Pine Needles Distress Ink, added a trunk that I colored with Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink.
(Deep breath!)
THEN I punched the border down at the bottom, (here's where I got stupid,) adhered it (big mistake,) painted it with gold acrylic paint, sanded it and then brushed more Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink on top. You know, very carefully so as not to get the paint/ink all over the tag.
THEN I poked holes through the punched edge piece through the tag, pushed brads through, hammered the tar out of them, tied a bit of cord through the hole at the top, frayed it and called it DONE.
THEN...and here's where I started to get a little emotional...I took a good look at what I had created. The border punch--to me--looks like cathedral arches. And I was reminded of a song by Chris Rice called "My Cathedral." Part of that song goes like this:
And out here in the stillness
I found my house of worship
With column trees and canopy of stars
Here in my cathedral.
And I was a little blown away by how this tag had all come together. Tim's version has a standing reindeer, mine is a reflection of how I feel about being outside, in the forest, in my cathedral.
Cool.
Supplies:
Paper: Tim Holtz (Paper Stash--Kraft Resist); Bazzill (green, red and kraft cardstock)
Stamps: Studio 18 (holly leaves); Inkadinkado (Rejoice--#96920)
Inks: Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Iced Spruce, Pine Needles, Brushed Corduroy, Black Soot); VersaMark
ETC: EK Success (arch border punch); Punch Bunch (tree punch); The Paper Studio (brads); Tim Holtz (Design Ruler); Tonic (Tim Holtz Craft Pick; Ticket/Tag Punch); Fiskars (1/16 inch hole punch); unknown clear embossing powder; stash (cording); Smooch Spray (Vanilla Shimmer); Ranger (Glossy Accents); Plaid (Metallic Gold Acrylic paint); Glue Glider Pro; Zig Two-way Glue
And if you're still reading this..bless you!
Funny story:
I punched the tree and inked it all up, setting it aside to dry while I finished the rest of the tag. When I got ready to adhere it....no tree. I looked EVERYWHERE for that tree! I mean, where could it have gone?? I looked under stuff, on top of stuff, on the floor, in my apron pockets. NOTHING. I gave up and made another. Later I went outside to get some yard work done. When I walked back in, there was the tree ON THE FLOOR, 40 FEET away from my craft desk! I guess it fell on the floor, stuck to my foot and traveled around the house!!! Oy!!! ;-)
~Cynthia
My version is smaller (2x4 inches) than Tim's tag to fit into my December Daily album pockets.
I had a lot of fun making this one. It was less stressful than yesterday's tag--haha--but it took me pretty much 8 hours to complete it. Sure, I let things dry while I got housework and other stuff done, but really. I hope Sir Tim makes things less complicated for the next tags! ;-)
Tim started with kraft resist paper. I used what I had--meaning...it wasn't the Christmas paper Tim used. No prob. I used the ticket/tag punch to make a tag shape out of it. I didn't attach it to a manilla tag because I can't put all those layers into the pocket in the album. I've already got another piece of paper on the 'other' side for the previous day.
I stamped "Rejoice" with VersaMark, then clear embossed it. I REALLY like how that turned out!
The tag then got the royal beauty treatment! Picket Fence Distress Stain all over, Iced Spruce Distress Ink on the edges, edges got distressed with a paper distresser, Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink on the very edge, holly stamp on the top, and Pine Needles Distress Ink brushed casually on the holly leaves.
THEN (deep breath!) I punched out red berries, adhered them carefully and dotted Glossy Accents on them, flung drops of Vanilla Shimmer Smooch Spray, punched a tree, colored it with Pine Needles Distress Ink, added a trunk that I colored with Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink.
(Deep breath!)
THEN I punched the border down at the bottom, (here's where I got stupid,) adhered it (big mistake,) painted it with gold acrylic paint, sanded it and then brushed more Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink on top. You know, very carefully so as not to get the paint/ink all over the tag.
THEN I poked holes through the punched edge piece through the tag, pushed brads through, hammered the tar out of them, tied a bit of cord through the hole at the top, frayed it and called it DONE.
THEN...and here's where I started to get a little emotional...I took a good look at what I had created. The border punch--to me--looks like cathedral arches. And I was reminded of a song by Chris Rice called "My Cathedral." Part of that song goes like this:
And out here in the stillness
I found my house of worship
With column trees and canopy of stars
Here in my cathedral.
And I was a little blown away by how this tag had all come together. Tim's version has a standing reindeer, mine is a reflection of how I feel about being outside, in the forest, in my cathedral.
Cool.
Supplies:
Paper: Tim Holtz (Paper Stash--Kraft Resist); Bazzill (green, red and kraft cardstock)
Stamps: Studio 18 (holly leaves); Inkadinkado (Rejoice--#96920)
Inks: Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Iced Spruce, Pine Needles, Brushed Corduroy, Black Soot); VersaMark
ETC: EK Success (arch border punch); Punch Bunch (tree punch); The Paper Studio (brads); Tim Holtz (Design Ruler); Tonic (Tim Holtz Craft Pick; Ticket/Tag Punch); Fiskars (1/16 inch hole punch); unknown clear embossing powder; stash (cording); Smooch Spray (Vanilla Shimmer); Ranger (Glossy Accents); Plaid (Metallic Gold Acrylic paint); Glue Glider Pro; Zig Two-way Glue
And if you're still reading this..bless you!
Funny story:
I punched the tree and inked it all up, setting it aside to dry while I finished the rest of the tag. When I got ready to adhere it....no tree. I looked EVERYWHERE for that tree! I mean, where could it have gone?? I looked under stuff, on top of stuff, on the floor, in my apron pockets. NOTHING. I gave up and made another. Later I went outside to get some yard work done. When I walked back in, there was the tree ON THE FLOOR, 40 FEET away from my craft desk! I guess it fell on the floor, stuck to my foot and traveled around the house!!! Oy!!! ;-)
~Cynthia

4 comments:
Your tag goes with your header picture beautifully. And as a bonus a tree went for a wandering walk too! There were a lot of steps to your tag so I can see why it took more than a few minutes to create.
Fantastic Cynthia .. . I love what you have done here and your explanation of what it all means to you.
Wonderful.
Love Jules xx
i love your words and your tag today. i am super proud that your following along with Tim and his 12tags. i know there is no way i could do that and a december daily album. you rock!
this is my fav so far--i LOVE the softness of this one, cynthia:) funny story about the tree!
i lost a lime green sticker letter one day-couldn't find it anywhere. went shopping, came home, and my son asked why i was green X on my elbow! some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed...
Post a Comment