Friday, December 16, 2011

He Never Fails

He Never Fails by HikerCynthia
He Never Fails, a photo by HikerCynthia on Flickr.
OK, just like with Tim's 12 Tags of Christmas...no laughing.

I learned a lot making this little...um...plaque?

It's based on a project over at One Lucky Day, the 2 Gypsie Girls's blog. I, of course, didn't have everything the Gypsy Girls had so I used what I had available.

I grabbed a piece of scrap wood and glued a page from an old hymnal. Lesson #1: Always get your paper straight before gluing it down. Grrrrrr. ;-)

Then I coated the piece with Picket Fence Distress Stain. (This stuff should win some kind of award, it's just that awesome!) Then I brushed brown Distress Stains and Inks along the edge.

The letters spelling Jesus are Grungeboard, covered in white paint and Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint, and then brushed with Walnut Stain Distress Ink.

The heart, also from Grungeboard, was distressed the same way.

I just quickly sewed (isn't that called guerrilla sewing??) the little pillow, stuffing it with a bit of quilt fluff. Then I sprayed water on my craft mat, smooshed Inks and Stains on the mat too, and dragged the pillow through it to make it look tea stained.

I glued everything on and waited for it to dry. :-)

Lesson #2 is to not use Distress Stain on the edges. The Gypsy Girls used acrylic paint and I think the more intense color would have been better.

Lesson #3 was to use the same color Stains and Inks on the wood as on the pillow. I used darker browns on the wood and warmer, yellow-toned stains on the pillow and they don't really match.

I do like how it turned out though and I think with practice I might make them for gifts.


Supplies:
Paper: Tim Holtz Idea-ology (Grungeboard Mixed Minis); Triumphant Service Songs (hymn page)
Colorants: Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Walnut Stain, Vintage Photo); Distress Stain (Picket Fence, Frayed Burlap); Adirondack (Snow Cap Dabber paint)
ETC: Tim Holtz (Clear Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint); muslin fabric; wood scrap


I'm off to get some outdoor work done. The sun has already hid itself behind the clouds and I know the rain is coming soon.

Have a wonderful, crafty day!


~Cynthia

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

I really like the contrast in the stains! I think having the same tones would be boring. This is not!

Carolyn Dube said...

This is fabulous!!!!!! You captured the feeling of their project but made it your own!!!!!

farmhouse-story said...

yep, this is SO fabulous!! i bookmark that site and will go through it--it looks awesome-tfs:)

Jules said...

Gosh Cynthia .. .. I can't believe how many gorgeous creations you have posted since I was here last.

I am trying really hard to catch up with everyone as I have had a busy couple of weeks .. .. and the amount of projects I have missed is amazing.

All of your tags have been so lovely. Love what you did with the little padded heart on this one.

Love Jules xx