Thursday, February 21, 2013

Oooo! Madras Plaid!!!

Oooo!  Madras Plaid!!! by HikerCynthia
Oooo! Madras Plaid!!!, a photo by HikerCynthia on Flickr.
I had so much fun making this card!! =D

I saw this card over on Lisa's blog...I'm in Haven. (She has the most beautiful CAS cards!!) I decided to shamelessly copy it, you know...as I so often do. ;-)

A while ago, Tim Holtz shared a little tip when using an embossing folder that tends to rip the paper. He suggested using a piece of Grunge Paper as a diffuser or buffer to prevent this.

So I tried.

And failed.

And tried again.

The Grunge Paper tends to diffuse the embossed parts so much that I couldn't get a nice crisp embossed image.

*sigh*

I used it anyway. It's just that wood grain background so no big deal.

Then I got to making the plaid, like on Lisa's card. Lisa had taken a class so she didn't share the instructions. No matter.

I was just playing at this point, so I reused the first failed embossed wood grain paper attempt.

I simply dragged (or is it drug??) Distress Ink pads across the bumpy cardstock. First from side to side, then I shifted the paper and dragged (drug?) the inks across again...so the lines of ink go left to right and top to bottom when you're done.

THEN I got the bright idea to spray it with a bit of water.

OK. Can I just say here....way cool???

It looks like and has the texture of Madras Plaid fabric!!

I die cut the big star and stamped smaller stars on the back of the plaid, then cut them out.

I stamped the banner, cut that out, and used a square punch to make the banner tail.

A little bit of extra effort on this one, but it was so much fun to get all inky!! Plus, the birthday boy is super special to me, so he's totally worth the extra time! ;-)


Supplies:
Paper: Recollections (white card blank and various left over pieces)
Stamps: Stampabilities (Happy Birthday 01); Rubber Stampede (Star Trio)
Inks: Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Bundled Sage, Peeled Paint, Stormy Sky, Salty Ocean, Chipped Sapphire)
ETC: QuickKutz (Star die cut); EK Success (Pop Dots); Glue Glider Pro; Tim Holtz/Sizzix (wood grain embossing folder)



Sorry I haven't been posting in a while. I've been having a wonderful, inky time in Carolyn Dube's workshop, Use Your Words. It's nice to focus on a different aspect of creating, in this case, art journaling. It's a free class and you can join at any time. Check it out on my blog roll--her's is the first listed: A Colorful Journey | Mixed Media Art.


Stay inky!!


~Cynthia

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

This does look like Madras and as pretty as Lisa's card! Love the little stars hanging out there too. One of my friends used 2 sheets of card stock with an EF that was tearing the paper. It embossed both beautifully! I'm not sure if it will work again though.

farmhouse-story said...

your inking process on this is fabulous, cynthia:) great guy card!!

Jules said...

Hi Cynthia

What a wonderful post.

I am loving those stars and am so pleased that you are having wonderful inky time at the moment. You sound like you are really enjoying it.

I hope you had a good weekend.

Love Jules xx

Carolyn Dube said...

Those stars pop on the white!!! Isn't fabulous what a squirt of water does! Love this!