Friday, May 18, 2012

What I've Been Up To

What I've Been Up To by HikerCynthia
What I've Been Up To, a photo by HikerCynthia on Flickr.

I hadn't been to Michael's in a while and that meant trouble. Expensive kind of trouble. ;-)

I love perusing the Dollar Bin. LOVE.

I found these cute monogram necklaces for...you know...ONE DOLLAR. All that remained were the letters A, E, O and one N. Odd combo. But as I looked closely, I thought...I can totally do something with those.

So I bought five.

And this is what I did with them.

The top one (the letter O) is the necklace in its original condition.

The silver, blank one on the left is what happens when you use Tim Holtz's pokey tool to pop out the little letter sticker thing from the metal square. And the green inside is what happens when you take the photo outside--nice trees, eh?

Keep the letter sticker to use as a template. The size is roughly 1.5 inches square.

I traced the letter sticker, then roughly cut out the shape from a piece of left over paper. Lay that (the negative shape) over cardstock/designed paper to see if your chosen image will fit in the metal square.

Trace around the letter sticker and cut out the image. I distressed the edges of both my images--Walnut Stain for the Flying Crow and Black Soot on the Skull. This covers up the cut (white) edges. Using the Black Soot gives the image a burnt look.

Next add a smidgen of Glossy Accents to the metal square, spread that around then press the image down.

Then really glop the Glossy Accents on top of the image. Use an old paintbrush or your finger to move the Glossy Accents into the corners. Use enough to seal your image into the metal square.

Let dry overnight and you have an amazing piece of jewelry!

The necklace on the right is from a Memory Box 6x6 packet and the awesome skull is from Tim Holtz's Paper Stash--Lost and Found.

And just for the record, I'm totally rockin that Skull right now!! ;-)



Happy Friday!!! And thanks for stopping by today!


~Cynthia

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

What a great find, Cynthia, and a creative way to doctor them up!

Carolyn Dube said...

I am so checking Michaels for those next time I am there! What you have done to them make the fantastic! Cool tree effect too!

farmhouse-story said...

these are awesome, cynthia! the skull is my fav, too!