Saturday, May 12, 2012

Tim's May Tag

Tim's May Tag by HikerCynthia
Tim's May Tag, a photo by HikerCynthia on Flickr.
No, not Tim's Maytag washing machine! Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2012 for May! ;-)

When I saw Tim's tag this morning, I was initially at a loss. I didn't have any of those stamps or the Melting Pot for the UTEE or those flowers or that tiny wooden spool.

Hmmmm. What to do?

Well, when in doubt, try Step 1.

I found some dress pattern paper and glued that on the tag. I distressed the covered tag with Distress Ink in Frayed Burlap. Then I looked at the tall, length-wise stamps I had.

Ah! The sailboat!! (I love that stamp!!!)

Seriously, after that it just all came together quickly! YAY!

I stamped the seagulls from the same set that includes the sailboat and used Coffee Archival Ink for both. Then I stamped the compass in Aged Mahogany Distress Ink.

I distressed the edges with more Frayed Burlap and with a paper distresser. I grabbed a piece of seam binding and distressed that too--with Antique Linen.

I looked through Tim's paper pads and found a nautical page. I cut an appropriate piece and used that in place of Tim's tape measure.

I made that Sarsaparilla charm with Tim's acrylic charm Fragments, another piece of his paper, a jump ring, some Glossy Accents and a heart paper clip. Then I attached it to the tag. (I did end up moving the charm down the side of the tag a bit.)

Instead of the flowers Tim used, I braided some twine, distressed it, tied a knot and attached that with a glue dot.

I *really* like this tag. I think it's less a copy of what Tim did and more of a creation in the *spirit* of what he did. =D


Supplies:
Paper: Tim Holtz (Lost and Found Paper Stash); tag from scrapbook store
Stamps: Stacy Stamps (sailboat set); Stampabilities (compass)
Inks: Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Antique Linen, Frayed Burlap; Aged Mahogany); Ranger Archival Ink (Coffee)
ETC: Tim Holtz Idea-ology (Fragments); The Sewing Place (seam binding); Fiskars (Pop Up Glue Dots); Ranger (Glossy Accents); Making Memories (paper distresser); TomBow (Glue Stick); findings and twine--stash



Are you playing along with Tim?? It's a whole lotta fun!!

Thanks for checking my tag out today! =D


~Cynthia

15 comments:

Jules said...

Hi Cynthia

A gorgeous tag!!

So many fabulous elements and great techniques.

Hope you are having a good weekend.

Love Jules xx

www.hokiecoyote.com said...

I love your interpretation of Tim's tag.

Bonnie said...

Now this is an amazing tag! I love the nautical stamping and collage details.

The Nonna said...

Hey Girl... What a great tag!! I absolutely love it. Poor Tim, he's got absolutely nothing on you.
Love.

The Nonna said...

Cynthia... I would email you but I don't know how - just wondering if you got my reply yesterday as I sent it from my phone and don't know how it works (can I just put Idiot in here!). Comment on my site to let me know pleeeaaasssseee.

Sue said...

Love your take on t!m's technique. I *may* even like yours just a wee bit better! Love how you took the technique and made it your own.

ddsharp50 said...

I really like your tag!!! I may have to try something similar for myself, it would be a great father's day tag, I think. I've never seen a tag with a nautical theme, so you may have started a trend. Thanks for the inspiration!

BJ said...

I love your nautical take on the tag for this month, so refreshing. BJ

farmhouse-story said...

i "really, really" love this tag! you do tim's style so perfectly!

Winnie said...

Very very cool! I love the nautical theme you did..That is an awesome boat!! I love that you ran with what you had on had. I am still thinking on this one as I am thinking of what I can do...I think it is part of the fun! TFS!

NGCARDS said...

I love your interpretation of his may tag hun, great sailing theme :) Also thank you for popping by my blog and checking out my tag :) Happy Crafting! xxx

Sunshine Girl said...

Tag is great - I like using different stash if I can - I do have T!ms stamps that he used this month but went for a totally image set myself too.

Unknown said...

Hi Cynthia - Thanks for the lovely comment on my tag. I am following your link back to visit you! Your nautical tag is an original take on Tim's. I can almost smell the sea. Helen x

Carolyn Dube said...

Phenomenal! This is just spilling over with awesome-ness!

Beulah Bee said...

Thank you for your comment on my May 2012 Tim Holtz tag... you are so nice!