Wednesday, May 23, 2012

12x12 Purse

12x12 Purse by HikerCynthia
12x12 Purse, a photo by HikerCynthia on Flickr.
Here's another....um....consequence of my expensive trip to Michael's. ;-)

When the store redesigned the scrapbook section, they included new specialty "papers" in the traditional 12x12 size. Several designs of printed canvas caught my eye. I totally should have bought them ALL when I saw them months ago, but, you know, you have to draw the line somewhere! ;-)

But this past trip I saw the butterfly canvas sheet and loved it. And I made a super simple purse out of it!

I cut one 2-inch strip for the handle and then made the bag part out of the remainder. I chose to make only one handle that stretches from one side to the opposite side because the remaining canvas would have been really too small to hold anything.

This is guerrilla sewing at its best! No lining, no pockets, no zippers. Flipping the handle inside out was the most time consuming part of it.

I love the fabric and the tinted butterflies. I could totally see this tea-dyed too!



Thanks for looking!!

~Cynthia

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

I LOVE this! I don't know why I don't find this good stuff at Michaels.

farmhouse-story said...

i LOVE, LOVE this!! how pretty, cynthia, but also, such a clever project! i didn't eve know you could buy canvas sheets!

farmhouse-story said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carolyn Dube said...

What a genius way to use the canvas! It looks fantastic as a purse!!!!