Friday, July 13, 2012

OLW96: (Not a) Birthday Blings

The mojo was waning a bit when I saw the latest One Layer Wednesday challenge. But I thought...I can do that. It's one layer! What could go wrong??

*sigh*

Turns out, many things.

The OLW challenge was to use bling...rhinestones, glitter, shiny things.

Easy.

I stamped this sweet flowers-in-a-jar stamp then looked for some blingy stuff for the flower centers.

Nothing matched.

Nothing looked right.

No problema. I own Alcohol Inks. I can make anything any color.

Oh yes I can.

So I grabbed the Salmon Alcohol Ink and dabbed it on some pearly dot blingy things.

Turns out, Alcohol Ink eats the pearly finish off of pearly dot blingy things.

No problema.

They were bling to begin with and bling they will remain.

Turns out, Alcohol Inks also eat the sticky glue stuff off the backs of pearly dot blingy things.

So *now* I'm all like ticked off and stuff.

I smooshed the pearly dot blingy things onto my card....and willed them to stick with all the Jedi mind force I could muster.

No problema.

Then I stamped my little 'hello' stamp.

So cute.

And sooooo crooked.

I stamped it two more times to make it look all artsy and stuff.

Not bad.

It looks like I used an actual typewriter and it came out all crooked and artsy on purpose.

I'm kinda liking it.

It was *then* that I realized that the OLW challenge specifically said BIRTHDAY Blings.

Not HELLO Blings.

Oh, fer cryin' out loud!

*pounds head on craft table*





Supplies:
Paper: Recollections (white card blank)
Stamps: Endless Creations (flower jar and hello stamps)
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Pumice Stone)
ETC: Ranger/Tim Holtz (Alcohol Ink--Salmon); Recollections (Rhinestone Stickers)



All I got to say is...Thank Goodness It's Friday. Have a great weekend!


~Cynthia ;-)

6 comments:

Ardyth said...

I am crying, I'm laughing so hard. I'm so glad that I'm not the only one these things happen to! Now I think there's no reason not to stamp an artful 'happy birthday' after the hellos and submit this card, which is gorgeous.

farmhouse-story said...

you are hilarious! it's the simple cards you have to be careful of:)

Carolyn Dube said...

Things may not have gone as you intended but you certain entertained and had a great card in the end, birthday or not!

Jules said...

LOL Cynthia

What a fab post .. .. you really made me chuckle.

I personally think the simpler the card the harder they are to create.

Hope you are having a good weekend.

Love Jules xx

Bonnie said...

But the Less is More challenge is to put 3 of something on a one layer card! You were just at the wrong challenge, Cynthia! This is a sweet little card and flowers don't usually have shiny bling in the centers so non-shiny bling works. The glue is a problem. I can vouch for that with the card sitting here on my desk with the sentiment banner below it.

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Brandi said...

LOL! Well I think your card turned out really cute. In fact I just bought a bunch of greeting cards off of Etsy to use as art in my bathroom. Maybe you should consider selling.