Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tim Tag #1

Tim Tag #1 by HikerCynthia
Tim Tag #1, a photo by HikerCynthia on Flickr.
Still trying to catch up here. On tap today is Tim Holtz's Tag #1.

Tim made a super cool Valentine's Day tag for the month of February. Since I didn't get to the tag until March, I decided on a different theme.

That and I have a limited number of die cuts. ;-)

First I dry embossed the tag with a music themed embossing folder. I couldn't replicate Tim's exact method, but I tried to highlight the raised parts with Picket Fence Distress Stain. That didn't work out very well, so I went off on a tangent.

I mooshed various blue Distress Inks into the "unraised" parts, then distressed the edges and the raised parts with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. I think that worked better than just the Picket Fence. Now you can see the music notes easily.

I die cut the star from Grungepaper, inked it with yellow inks, then covered it with Rock Candy Distress Stickles. I dyed a piece of seam binding with the same yellow inks. (I know it looks brown here, but it actually matches quite well in real life.) I did tone it down a bit with Walnut Stain Distress Ink.

I die cut the two borders from a snippet of faux leather I made for another project.

The letters are from Tim Holtz's Salvage Stickers.

For a final bit of crazy-cool bling, I ripped up some old costume jewelry a friend had given me some time ago. The pearl on the seam binding knot and the wire leaf used to be a clip-on earring.

When I first started this, I had no particular direction. Now the tag reminds me of "Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star" and that's kind of cool. =D


Supplies:
Paper: Bazzill (kraft paper); manilla shipping tag; Tim Holtz (Grungepaper)
Inks: Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Mustard Seed, Wild Honey, Walnut Stain, Chipped Sapphire, Faded Jeans, Stormy Sky, Vintage Photo); Tim Holtz Distress Stain (Picket Fence)
ETC: Cuttlebug (Allegro Embossing Folder); Tim Holtz (Salvage Stickers); costume jewelry; seam binding; Scotch Quick-dry Adhesive; Ranger (Rock Candy Distress Stickles); MFT Die-namics (Faux Crochet Border, Little Open Scallop Strip)


So in the "I'm Still Playing Catch Up" department...Bonnie asked what Eclipse Paper was. It's paper that has a low-tac glue on it--like Post-It Notes, only a bit stronger. You can ink it, die cut it, print on it, and use it as a mask. It comes in sheets (8x12) and rolls. The coolest thing about Eclipse is that somehow or other, it flattens when you stamp on it. So when you're using it as a mask, you don't get that funny white space between the Eclipse and the paper being stamped on--which happens a lot to me when I'm using Post-It Notes as a mask. You can check it out here on the Stampland Chicago website.


Thanks for stopping by today! And CRAFT ON!! ;-)


~Cynthia

4 comments:

Jules said...

Hi Cynthia

What a fantastic tag!!!

Loving the colours and all the texture!

Love Jules xx

Bonnie said...

This tag would be a gift by itself! Love the musical notes in blue and that gorgeous star!

Laura said...

Hi Cynthia, I have just added myself as a follower to your blog, I love the tag!! The textures are fab.
Laura xx

farmhouse-story said...

this is an awesome tag, cynthia! and i love your use of the earring!